Monday, February 13, 2012

The Hangover

     The Louisiana Diaries: Welcomes you to my world!  I am a writer, journalist, college professor, Alaskan who has moved to Louisiana via Dallas Texas. Long story. For now, it's Monday and I have a headache having just spent the weekend celebrating my twin daughters' Ninth birthday!
        The festivities began Saturday afternoon in a party held at the Zoo at Acadiana.  More then 25 kids came (we nearly ran out of cake!) and more than 10 adults.  The parents stood around chatting while the kids ran to and fro at the zoo.  Our seating area was by the giraffe (a grand view) and a pair of chickens kept running under foot (searching for food droppings, no doubt).  Rare, frigid temperatures ruled the day -- below 50!  I, the Northerner, wore the most clothes -- a ski cap, gloves, scarf and down coat. And still cold.
       Two hours later, we were continuing the celebration at home with a sleepover for five of the girl's BFF's (what were we thinking?).  Not bad, though.  Dad made tacos.  King Cake (Mardi Gras just around the corner) for dessert.  The kids spent the night opening presents; playing video games, watching TV and movies and dress up!  Mom, that's me, spent all night picking up, cleaning up and watching movies on my kitchen TV -- ah, the life.
     The night went without conflict or much trouble. At 10:30 I ordered everyone into PJ's, then set about making beds on the floor . . . by midnight everyone was down, if not out.  Only one became homesick at 1 a.m. and dreading driving in frigid temperatures, I managed to calm her down and coax her to sleep.
     Sunday was a whole new form of torture.  The clean up.  I spent an hour folding every blanket, quilt and sleeping bag we own -- I have three daughters, plus five, equals too-many-beds on the floor!  Then as parents gradually picked up their children; and others walked home in the neighborhood, I continued my weekly cleaning, made longer by the party mess.
     No chickens, tigers or babies left behind, but there were a half dozen or more half full bottles of water, balloons rolling along the floor, half empty gift bags, half eaten bags of Fritos and misc. pieces of clothing left here and there.
     I didn't finish until bedtime, and collapsed, along with the girls, at 9 p.m.
     This year, as with past, I swear I will never do another sleepover party again!  But then my oldest has her birthday coming up in July.

Monday, February 13, 2012
    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment